Thursday, April 9, 2009

Our Beloved Rocky

I was talking with my mother earlier this afternoon. I called her to see what was going on for Easter. I didn't know if my family was coming up here or if I was to drive down to Neosho. Turns out I'm prob driving down to Neosho for Easter. All while in the midst of our conversation my mom tells me she has some bad news. And I proceeded to ask her what it was, figured it had to do with my brother quite honestly, but she said Rocky had died. I didn't believe her! Apparently it happened Monday. And I talked to her Monday and she didn't tell me! I was at Briannas though and I guess she didn't want to bring me down while I was at her place. I was in utter shock and I didn't know what to believe. Our Rocky died! He was a sweet, beautiful Green Winged Macaw. Weird thing is that he wasn't that old. Maybe around 9 years old. And Macaws are supposed to live for years and years! Its so strange, but I guess he wasn't feeling well and he dehydrated himself along with starvation. My parents didn't notice anything strange until my dad mentioned something to my mom about him acting weird when he was trying to feed him Monday night. I'm heart broken to hear this. He was such a good bird. He talked all the time. He even said my name - Kayla. I don't even know what to think. Its so sad, I felt so awful for my parents. They loved that bird. I guess my mom held and kept petting Rocky that evening and he just died in her arms. I can only imagine being there and seeing him suffer like that. But there wasn't anything they could do. They thought about taking him to the vet, but by the time they would've gotten there it would be too late. I just know he's in a better place now.

R.I.P. Rockford, I love you buddy!

1 comment:

  1. Kayla - I understand your loss, but Rocky's memories will all be funny and good. I used to pet sit, as a teenager, for the family across the street - they had an African Grey (named Rocky, too!) and a dachshund. When someone would knock on the front door the dog would bark and the bird would say, "Shut up, Wally!" It was so funny! ~Ms. A

    ReplyDelete